Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My daughter , Bonnie , left school two months ago and now she's looking for her first job . The problem is that companies always say they want people with experience, but how can she get experience if nobody gives her a job? She goes online every day and looks at the job adverts, but there's nothing for people like her.
Face2face Pre-intermediate Student's Book

Bonnie's situation is temporary: she's now looking for a job. To underline this, can I use the present progressive in the last sentence?
--->My daughter , Bonnie , left school two months ago and now she's looking for her first job . The problem is that companies always say they want people with experience, but how can she get experience if nobody gives her a job? She is going online every day and looking at the job adverts, but there's nothing for people like her.
Is this correct?

You can say it that way if you insist.

She goes online every day and looks at the job adverts

This is an ideal context for the present simple. The idea is that these actions are repeated, routine actions. The time phrase 'every day' makes that very clear.

She goes online every day and looks at the job adverts

This is an ideal context for the present simple. The idea is that these actions are repeated, routine actions. The time phrase 'every day' makes that very clear.
It's interesting that quite often we can find the present continuous used with repeated, complete, routine actions.

Like, for example, here:
We are making new GP every two years.jpg
  • We are making new GP architectures every two years.
Elon Musk once said on Joe Rogan's podcast this:
  • The sun is converting 4 or 5 million tons of mass into energy every second, yeah, 4 or 5 megatons per second, every second, every day, for billions of years.
Do you think the present simple rather than the present continuous would be a much better choice in the two examples above?

Yes.

Do you think the present simple rather than the present continuous would be a much better choice in the two examples above?

No, I don't. The speakers both had good reasons to use the continuous aspect in those sentences. Remember that these are native speakers.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back