No context. Sorry.

(1) is correct and natural.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither is good. Use one of these:

- She's American.
- She's an American.
- She is American.
- She is an American.

I think Americans would always say citizenship rather than nationality. And don't use an article with citizenship.

Last edited:
I think Americans would always say citizenship rather than nationality. And don't use an article with citizenship.
Yes. Maybe not always, but often. It depends on context, of course.

In fact, the reason I came back to this thread was to add these:

- Her nationality is American.
- She has American citizenship.
- She's an American citizen.
- She is an American citizen.

Neither of the original two sentences would be at all natural in the US, but they might fine be in the UK.

Last edited:
How about She's an American national?

How about She's an American national?
If the conversation is happening, say, at the U.S. State Department, it could be natural. It's not what most people would say in ordinary conversation.

If you ask an American for their "nationality" they are likely to tell you they are Scots Irish on one side and German on the other. It's our heritage, where our ancestors came to America from.

My grandmother was born in Canada and spent her entire life here. Nevertheless, if you had asked her her nationality, she would have said Irish.

I am not a teacher.

What is her nationality?
American.
She is American.
She is from the US/the States (implying she has an American passport).

My favourite personal use is "US cit."
;-)

If you ask an American for their "nationality" they are likely to tell you they are Scots Irish on one side and German on the other. It's our heritage, where our ancestors came to America from.
I just say I'm an American.

I just say I'm an American.
Me too. It wouldn't occur to me to name the country my parents came from. As it happens, I've learned that I am in fact a citizen of that country, too, but I don't consider that my nationality.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the conversation is happening, say, at the U.S. State Department, it could be natural. It's not what most people would say in ordinary conversation.

You see it in newspapers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back