Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following dialog was between Kris and I.

Kris: Silver, I heard that you cousin had came here from hometown.
Sil: Yeah. She stayed at my apartment for a month. A few days eailer, she found a manicure job downtown.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The following dialog was between Kris and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] me.

Kris: Silver, I heard that you cousin had came here from hometown.
Sil: Yeah. She stayed at my apartment for a month. A few days eailer, she found a manicure job downtown.

Is the italic sentence natural?
I don't like it. She found a job as a manicurist.

I've underlined problem areas for you to review. Please reply with corrections so I know I'm not wasting my time.

Last edited:
had come here

I don't like it. She found a job as a manicurist.

I've underlined problem areas for you to review. Please reply with corrections so I know I'm not wasting my time.

No, again, you're not wasting your time, GS. There's something wrong with my broswers....

, I heard that your.....came here...(I'll leave out "from hometown).
...............A few days ago,.....

Is it natural to say "She's been learning manicure for a few months". If my cousin learned how to treat nails before doing that job?

Is my italic sentence natural?

I heard that your.....came here...(I'll leave out "from hometown).
...............A few days ago,.....
I was looking for I heard that your cousin had come here from her/his hometown.

I was looking for I heard that your cousin had come here from her/his hometown.

Much appreciated! Hmm, we are from the same hometown. So I didn't add any pronouns here.

Is there anyone who can help me with the sentence in #7?

Much appreciated! Hmm, we are from the same hometown. So I didn't add any pronouns here.
You have to tell the reader which home town you're talking about whether or not it's the same one for both of you. There's even a possessive pronoun that covers that situation.

You have to tell the reader which home town you're talking about whether or not it's the same one for both of you. There's even a possessive pronoun that covers that situation.

I got it! Much appreciated!

Is there anyone who would like to help me with the italic sentence in #7?

Is it natural to say "She's been learning manicure for a few months", If my cousin has been learning how to treat nails before doing that job?

Is my italic sentence natural?
No.

She's been taking a manicure course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back