Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the following sentence which word should we use: smart or smartly?

She normally dresses smart/smartly.

Smartly. And she doesn't dress good, she dresses well.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, EnglishHobby:

You have already received the answer. You should definitely use "smartly" on any test.

I wanted to join the conversation, however, because I feel that you may find the following of some interest:

1. There are two types of adverbs: the -ly adverb and the so-called flat adverb (without -ly).

2. Here in the United States, many people seem to prefer the flat adverb, at least in ordinary conversation and in ordinary writing. (For example: "Drive slow" instead of "Drive slowly.")

3. Therefore, if you hear an American say or write "She normally dresses very smart," you should remember that most American dictionaries accept "smart" as a flat adverb.

4. Important: The -ly adverb is ALWAYS needed in front of a verb: "She is usually a smartly dressed person."

5. In comparative sentences, according to many dictionaries, the flat adverb also seems more natural (at least to Americans):

"You dress smarter than I do" instead of "You dress more smartly than I do."

James

To me, if someone dresses smart, they might dress in a clever way to achieve something.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

In my research, I found a quaint and charming sentence from a novel written by the famous Jane Austen (1775 - 1817).

I have read that so-called flat adverbs were more frequently used in older English.

Miss Austen writes:

"For my part, I think they [young gentlemen] are vastly agreeable, provided they dress smart and behave civil. But I can't bear to see them dirty and nasty."

1. Does Miss Austen mean: "I can't bear to see them dress dirty and behave nasty"?
2. Are those four words (that I have boldfaced) all flat adverbs, or are they, in fact, adjectives (regardless of the verbs "dress" and "behave")?

James

Last edited:
That is pretty much dated English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back