Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I don't have a specific sentence in mind. I want to ask how you would describe someone doing THIS.

The Idioms site seems to have four phrasal verbs to describe it, and I can't see the difference: bend over, lean over, bend forward, lean forward.

Any help?

She's bending over with her hands on her knees (or close to them).

She's bending over with her hands on her knees (or close to them).
Thanks. If it's not too much to ask, can you tell me what the other three phrasal verbs describe?

In both cases, 'bend' suggests just that - you're bending at the knees, waist, or both. Your head is closer to the ground. 'Lean' just suggests a slight tilt in whatever direction. You can lean, yet have your body remain in a relatively straight line. Your head stays at relatively the same height.

'Forward' means that the movement is face towards the ground. 'Over' doesn't necessarily specify which direction the movement is. It could be forward, backwards, or to one side.

In the picture, I'd probably say she is bent forward with her hands on her knees.

'Over' doesn't necessarily specify which direction the movement is. It could be forward, backwards, or to one side.
Then isn't over redundant? Why not just say bend or lean without a preposition?

I don't know. I do know it's not a conscious choice. When it's said of a person he or she bends over. (The word ",lean" is used somewhat differently.)

Then isn't over redundant? Why not just say bend or lean without a preposition?

No, it isn't redundant at all. Why would you think it's redundant? The particles over, forward, back, down, etc. all express something important about the direction of bending, leaning, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back