Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello, everyone!

I was wondering about the changes that occur to the modal "shall" in reported speech. When is it changed to "should" and when to "would" there?

E.g. You shall never come to this house again! (as a threat)
Mr Smith threatened Tom he should / would never come to that house again.

Thank you.

Better:

Mr. Smith told Tom to never come back.

Hello, everyone!

I was wondering about the changes that occur to the modal "shall" in reported speech. When is it changed to "should" and when to "would" there?

E.g. You shall never come to this house again! (as a threat)

That's not a threat. It's a statement. A threat is: Don't come here again or I'll punch you in the nose!

Mr. Smith threatened Tom, saying he (Pronoun confusion. Do you mean Tom should or Mr. Smith would?) should / would never come to that house again.

Thank you.
Shall doesn't change to should. They're two separate words. Should is similar to must. Shall is similar to will.

Neither word is a threat.

In the US, shall is rarely used except as for exaggerately formal speech, as in "Shall we dance?" and in quotes, especially Bible quotes, such as "The meek shall inherit the earth."

The British might have a different answer. Shall we find out?

(Cross-post. Tarheel is right, as usual!)

I was wondering about the changes that occur to the modal "shall" in reported speech.

Please stop doing that. You have more important things to worry about.

Another possibility:

Mr. Smith threatened Tom with bodily harm if he should ever come back to his house again.

Also possible:

Mr. Smith threatened Tom and told him to never come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back