Several hundred thousands=Several thousand hundreds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabushabu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I'm confused with "several hundred thousands" and "several thousand hundreds".

Does "several hundred thousands" mean: 100,000-900,000? Why?

How about"several thousand hundreds"? Same?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think they aren't same and "several thousand hundreds" isn't correct at all.

I'm not a teacher.

Does "several hundred thousands" mean: 100,000-900,000? Why?

It cannot mean 100,000. Several is an inexact number, definitely plural but not very many. I'd use it for about 5-8/900,000, but others may have different interpretations.

We don't say normally say 'several thousand hundreds'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd use it for about 5-8/900,000, but others may have different interpretations.
I'd probably use it for a lower figure, but that doesn't matter. Tdol is right - it's inexact.

I'd probably use it for a lower figure, but that doesn't matter. Tdol is right - it's inexact.

Out of interest, how low might you go?

I wouldn't go lower than 3.

I wouldn't want to commit myself in this inexact area. I don't think I would go lower than 4 or higher than 7. Please note that I have stressed the word think.

We don't say normally say 'several thousand hundreds'.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean you dont say 'several thousand hundreds'?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean you dont say 'several thousand hundreds'?

Thanks
Yes! "Several thousand hundreds" would never be used by a Native Speaker! We would say the total is between two and three hundred thousand dollars.

Thanks
Yes, we do not say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back