Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

What is the exact meaning of the verb ''set?'' To book a place or to choose a place? Or does it mean ''to reserve a place?''

Set a place at the table.

Google "set the table".

Did you have no context at all when you fond these words?

There is no context. This expression is given in the book Key Words for Fluency. ''Set a table'' is a different expression. I am trying to find ''set a place at the table.''

Did you try Googling "set a place at the table"?

At its simplest, setting a place involves simply putting the required cutlery, often a knife and fork, on the table at the place where the diner is to sit.

And often also a chair, when there's not already a place for the person to sit.

At its simplest, setting a place involves simply putting the required cutlery, often a knife and fork, on the table at the place where the diner is to sit.

So ''I set a place for my guest at the table.'' ''I set the table for my guest.''

So ''I set a place for my guest at the table.'' ''I set the table for my guest.''
Yes, but "set the table" is more usually used when you're laying out all the settings, not just one.

This could be adding an additional setting for someone who had not originally been expected.

Exactly. Someone unexpected is coming to dinner. So you need another place setting, right? So make some room between two other place settings, go get a chair, get the silverware and dishes and napkin, and put them all at the table.

There! You've set another place at the table!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back