Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi guys

I got these two sentence question back today with a big red line under them and I cannot see why.

1. Im free, give me some work = which is the verb (I put free)
2. The lady he spoke with in London was Geri whom I have just spoken to and she has informed me that it is late in the semester and that refunds are only given this late on compassionate grounds. (is it because it is too long?)

Thanks

Hi guys

I got these two sentence question back today with a big red line under them and I cannot see why.

1. Im free; give me some work. = which is the verb (I put free) No. "free" is an adjective; "give" is the verb.
2. The lady he spoke with in London was Geri, whom I have just spoken to, and she has informed me that it is late in the semester and that refunds are only given this late on compassionate grounds. (is it because it is too long?) no

Thanks

Thankyou for your help

Im still a bit confused about the second question.

After the word "to" can you help as to why there is there a comma? I thought commas were never used before the word "and"?

Also is there anywhere in the sentence I can use a ;?

(Digression: also, note 2006's silent avoidance of your comma-splice; 'I'm free' is one idea, and 'give me some work' is another. You can't separate them with a comma. I imagine 2006 may not even have noticed s/he changed your "," to a ";" - comma-splice-avoidance is so deeply ingrained in people of a certain bent;-))

b

Thankyou for your help

Im still a bit confused about the second question.

After the word "to" can you help as to why there is there a comma? It is related to the comma after "Geri". I thought commas were never used before the word "and"? That's not a question, so the question mark is wrong. You were wrong, and commas come after words, not before words.

Also is there anywhere in the sentence I can use a semicolon? which sentence?

(Digression: also, note 2006's silent avoidance of your comma-splice; 'I'm free' is one idea, and 'give me some work' is another. You can't separate them with a comma. I imagine 2006 may not even have noticed s/he changed your "," to a ";" No. I consciously did it and accented it. - comma-splice-avoidance is so deeply ingrained in people of a certain bent;-))

b

1. Im free, give me some work = which is the verb (I put free)
"Im" is not a word. You probably mean "I'm" which stands for "I am". In that case, 'am' is the verb (assuming that one can choose which clause one applies the question to).
You've also used "Im" in a later post. It's not right; try not to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back