Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi.

I wrote the sentences below. Please check which is the correct sentence.

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly the plan has to be shelved due to current pandemic."

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to current pandemic."

Last edited:
1.You need the comma after "sadly".
2. You need a definite article before "current pandemic".
3. Please check which sentence is correct.

1.You need the comma after "sadly".
2. You need a definite article before "current pandemic".
3. Please check which sentence is correct.

Hi tedmc.

I have corrected the sentence based on the points you highlighted. Hope it is now correct.

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to the current pandemic."

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to the current pandemic."
It's still missing an article. Can you see where and which one?

It's still missing an article. Can you see where and which one?

Hi GoesStation.

There is a missing "a" before the word "plan".

"We had a plan for vacation this summer but, sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to the current pandemic."

"We had a plan for our vacation this summer but, sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to the current pandemic."
You got the article I was looking for. "Vacation" also needs a determiner. I added our, but the indefinite article would also be possible.

There needs to be a comma before 'sadly'; the word is used parenthetically. I would omit the comma before 'but' to avoid too many commas too close together; others would retain it.

Don't you mean after sadly?

How is sadly used 'parenthetically'? It's functioning here as sentence adverb. A comma is required after a sentence-initial sentence adverb.

I'm a serial comma user and I, too, would have suggested "... for a vacation this summer but, sadly, the plan has [had] to be shelved ...". As you can see, I wouldn't use a comma before "but".

Try:

We had planned to take a vacation this year, but our plans had to be shelved due to the pandemic.

You can stick "but sadly" in there if you insist. However, it is purely optional.

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly the plan has to be shelved due to current pandemic."

"We had plan for vacation this summer, but sadly, the plan has to be shelved due to current pandemic."

NOT A TEACHER

Too many commas bunched together give a cluttered look that distracts the reader from the idea that you wish to express.

You might consider: "We had planned a summer vacation, but the plan, sadly, has to be shelved because of the current pandemic."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back