Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
THE countries of Asia do not exactly see the world in a grain of sand, but they have identified grave threats to the national interest in the tiny outcrops and shoals scattered off their coasts.

It seems to me the captioned phrase is from Auguries of Innocence written by William Blake. I understand it means one can find vast truths in the smallest of things such as a grain of sand. However, I do not understand what it is meant in the above sentence. It means the countries of Asia do not find vast truths in the smallest of things?

Thanks!

JY

(Not a Teacher)

It's kind of an odd usage, but I'm guessing the author's trying to say that Asian countries generally don't see much of importance in small things, but they seem to identify these "outcrops and shoals" as threats to their national interests. This one excerpt doesn't make it clear what the "outcrops and shoals" are. It could be referring to the continent's outlying island nations, but that's not certain.

Last edited:
I assume the subject of the article is the disputed islands that Japan, China and Taiwan all claim. There may not be much use for the islands, but they may fight over them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back