Second Eldest son / travels domestic as well as international.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can anyone please help me in making the below-mentioned two sentences correct?

1) Dr. X is the second eldest son of Mr. Y out of three sons.
(Please note that Mr. Y has three sons)

2). My boss travels frequently domestic as well as international. When he is abroad, because of the time difference between two countries, we have to take his phone call in odd hours here in India to make changes in flight tickets.

Rajan

1) "Dr. X is the second of Mr. Y's three sons."
2) "My boss travels frequently on both domestic and international flights."

Can anyone please help me in making the below-mentioned two sentences correct?

1) Dr. X is the second eldest son of Mr. Y out of three sons.

It's grammatical and makes sense but isn't very natural. It's wordy, and notice that he's also the second youngest. More natural: Dr. X is Mr. Y's second of three sons.

(Please note that Mr. Y has three sons)

Yes. You already said that.

2). My boss travels frequently domestically as well as internationally. When he is abroad, because of the time differences [STRIKE]between two countries[/STRIKE], we have to take his phone calls at odd hours here in India to make changes in flight tickets.

I suspect he travels to more than one country.

Rajan
Hi, Rajan! Where are the sentences from?

(Cross-post.)

Last edited:
2). My boss travels frequently, domestically as well as internationalally. When he is abroad, because of the time difference between the
two countries, we have to take his phone calls at [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] odd hours here in India to make changes in flight tickets.
See above for a minimum of required changes.

Hello Charlie,

During discussions with somebody, I spoke these sentences. Later I realised that I was not grammatically right. Therefore, I posted these sentences here to know the correct sentences.

Thanks again.

During a [STRIKE]discussions[/STRIKE] discussion with somebody, I [STRIKE]spoke[/STRIKE] said/used [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] those sentences. Later, I realised that [STRIKE]I was[/STRIKE] they were not grammatically [STRIKE]right[/STRIKE] correct. Therefore, I posted [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] those/the sentences here to [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] find out/learn the correct sentences.

Thanks again.

Note my corrections above.

Note my corrections above.

Whenever I post my question here, I always learn something new from you. Please note that I do not post incorrect sentences intentionally. To best of my ability, I pay attention to grammar before posting it. Even then you find those sentences wrong, I feel sorry about it. I thank you for your patience.

Regards
Rajan

Whenever I post [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] questions here, I always learn something new from you. Please note that I do not post incorrect sentences intentionally. To the best of my ability, I pay attention to grammar before posting. [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE] Even then, you find errors. [STRIKE]those sentences wrong,[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]feel[/STRIKE] am sorry about [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that. I thank you for your patience.

Regards
Rajan

If you already knew how to post grammatically correct sentences, you wouldn't need to use the forum! It's what we're here for. We're glad to hear that you learn something new from us regularly. All we ask of all learners is that they pay close attention to our corrections and really try not to make the same mistakes over and over again. :)

The way I see it all the learners are here to give me something to do.
;-)

Learning involves change. So you should be prepared to change some things.

I always do things for a reason. I don't tell you something so I can feel that I am better than you. I say what I say because I think it's appropriate.

I am not here to argue. If you don't like my advice, fine. (I've been doing this for 17 years (since 2003) if that means anything.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back