Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.
1.Can "seat of learning" be used instead of university?
2. Can "proliferation" be used instead of saying something is becoming common?
3. Can "supplementary" be used instead of in addition?
4. Can "education recipient" be used instead of learner or student?

Is this correct and natural?

The proliferation of computer and technological devices in seats of learning can have many advantages. Firstly, it helps teachers. Supplementary to this, it increases the quality of learning for education recipients.

If those words do not work, what else can I use?

Last edited:
Unless you wish to sound pretentious, stick to more straightforward vocabulary, such as:

The increased availability of computer and technological devices in universities can have many advantages. Firstly, it helps teachers. It also increases the quality of learning for learners.

I know those words are not natural choices. Someone else has written this and I want to see if it's correct:

The proliferation of computer and technological devices in seats of learning can have many advantages. Firstly, it helps teachers. Supplementary to this, it increases the quality of learning for education recipients.

Someone else [strike]has written[/strike] wrote this and I want to see if it's correct:

You must tell us the source and the author of those sentences.

You must tell us the source and the author of those sentences.

A fellow teacher wrote this. He is a non-native speaker. I'm fully aware that those words are not commonly used that way.

But are they passable as correct?

A fellow teacher wrote this. He is a non-native speaker. I'm fully aware that those words are not commonly used that way.

But are they passable as correct?

I wouldn't use those phrases other than "proliferation". It would not be good for a teacher to promote the type of English to students.

ONE QUESTION per post please alpacinoutd.

Proliferation does not mean "become common". Nuclear proliferation has occurred as more countries have acquired nuclear weapons, but there are still only a few such countries.

"Proliferation" means "the rapid increase in something" which I think does not necessarily correspond with its availabilty in a particular context.

Frankly, I think those sentences are weird. Especially education recipients.

I felt that too. But the writer was insistent that this is a very good piece of writing!

Well, insisting doesn't prove anything.
:)

I felt that too. But the writer was insistent that this is a very good piece of writing!

Writers are frequently over-confident of their own abilities. After all, why would they say "I think what I wrote was terrible"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back