Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Science has no country: fulfilling Louis Pasteur's legacy
Source:
01a0.JPG

The title "Science has no country" incurs an uneasing impression in me that it seems to mean "science is an imigrant without nationality" rather than "science is without borders". It becomes "Science knows no country" when clicking the title.

I wonder whether it is misleading to you native English speakers and conjures up the same uneasiness when you read "Science has no country".
It seems to me that "Science has no country" is different to "Science knows no country". I am not sure.

Last edited:
The title "Science has no country" creates incurs an uneasy uneasing impression in me that it seems to means "science is an immigrant without nationality" rather than "science is without borders".

I looked at the thread title and interpreted it as "Science isn't limited by borders".

that it seems to mean "science is an immigrant without nationality"
English (any language for that matter) isn't just about literal meanings. It's also about using common sense and logic to understand the intended meaning. We know that science isn't a person, and therefore can neither be an immigrant nor have a nationality.

English (any language for that matter) isn't just about literal meanings. It's also about using common sense and logic to understand the intended meaning. We know that science isn't a person, and therefore can neither be an immigrant nor have a nationality.
How about personification, a form of rhetoric which reflected the true impression in this case?

What do you mean?

It just means that science is not biased by nationality (or culture, etc.). There's no implication of immigration or anything like that.

I think 'knows' is a better verb to get this idea across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back