Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Dear teachers,

I'm a little bit confused by the use of the preposition after "schedule" when used as a verb.

I looked it up in the dictionnary, which states that "schedule" is be followed by "for" (e.g. Let's schedule the meeting for the incoporation of the company").

But on the other hand, I've learnt that one has to use "at" or "on" when talking about a time ("at 2.00 p.m.") or a day ("on Saturday").

So at the end, which of the following sentences is/are correct?

1. The meeting is scheduled on Saturday, at 2.00 p.m.; or
2. The meeting is scheduled for Saturday, at 2.00 p.m.
3. The meeting is scheduled at 2.00 p.m
4. The meeting is scheduled for 2.00 p.m

Thank you in advance

Guillaume

Dear teachers,

I'm a little bit confused by the use of the preposition after "schedule" when used as a verb.

I looked it up in the dictionnary, which states that "schedule" is be followed by "for" (e.g. Let's schedule the meeting for the incoporation of the company").

But on the other hand, I've learnt that one has to use "at" or "on" when talking about a time ("at 2.00 p.m.") or a day ("on Saturday").

So at the end, which of the following sentences is/are correct?

1. The meeting is scheduled on Saturday, at 2.00 pm; or
2. The meeting is scheduled for Saturday, at 2.00 pm.
3. The meeting is scheduled at 2.00 pm.
4. The meeting is scheduled for 2.00 pm.

Thank you in advance

Guillaume

2 and 4 are correct.

[AmE - not a teacher]

I would have sworn this was correct [can] use "at" or "on" when talking about a time ("can" not "must") when using "schedule", but it's not.

If I say, "Let's scheduled the meeting on Saturday," you might reply, "No, let's scheduled the meeting right now!"

"for" Saturday leaves no doubt when the meeting is.

Of course, you're going to hear this in speech:

1: When is the meeting scheduled?
2: It's on Saturday. (But this sounds slightly odd.)

1: When is the meeting?
2: It's on Saturday. (This is fine, because the answer is short for "The meeting is on Saturday".)

or

1: When was the meeting scheduled?
2: On Tuesday. (But out of context, it's not clear if the meeting took place on Tuesday, or if the date was decided on Tuesday.)

Hence, Bhai is correct. I'd stick with "for".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back