Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
[FONT=&quot]Hello, I need help in understanding the grammatical structure of this sentence. Could anyone break it down? Thank you very much!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Scattered among the leaves crawl creatures called Zeepers that are half insect, half animal".[/FONT]

Hello, I need help in understanding the grammatical structure of this sentence. Could anyone break it down? Thank you very much!!

"Scattered among the leaves crawl creatures called Zeepers that are half insect, half animal".

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Try reading the sentence in the following order: Blue, green, red.

Does that help you to understand it? If you need a full grammatical breakdown of that specific word order usage, I'll leave it to a grammarian.

Hello mark8, and welcome to the forum. :)
That sentence uses:
- an adverbial at the beginning (scattered among the leaves).
- subject-verb inversion (crawl creatures). That's possible if you start the sentence with an adverbial expression.
- reduction (creatures which are called Zeepers).
- omission of "and" (half insect and half animal).

Note that I have deleted the duplicate thread you wrote. Please be patient and wait for a thread to be approved.
Also, I note that you submitted the same question to at least one other forum.
https://www.englishforums.com/English/PleaseDescribeGrammaticalStructure-Sentence/bpggjc/post.htm

In future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

Thank you both for your replies, and point taken about posting to different forums! OK. I wasn't sure if I'd get a response anywhere. Now I know this is a good place and will look here first. :D I am always confused with a complex sentence like this in identifying S-V-O so your comments are helpful. Actually I may have a follow-up in a little while if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back