Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello.

In a cartoon we often have the situation that the people depicted there wear clothes on which meaningful words are printed.

I'm not really sure how to talk about this. Do I say

a) His hoodie says "Sheriff".

b) On his hoodie "Sheriff" is written.

Both versions sound strange to me. A, because hoodies do not normally talk, and B, because this simply sound unidiomatic. Maybe "the word" should be put in front of "Sheriff"?

Or can I only use c) On his hoodie you can see the word "Sheriff".

Who are you trying to say that to, and why?

What I'd like to do is to analyse a cartoon.

First thing you do is describing it. And there it is: a picture with a man in it and this man is wearing a pullover onto which the words "Sheriff" is printed. I'd like to shorten this sentence because "onto which....." is quite long-winded for a short and concise description I suppose.

Try:
"His hoodie has (the word) "Sheriff" written on it".

His hoodie says "Sheriff" is correct and natural in American English. "Says" can always mean "has written on it".

Yes, "says" is common for this

"What does your shirt say?"

"Nothing, you have to read it. Ha ha ha."

What I'd like to do is to analyse a cartoon.

First thing you do is describe it. And there is a picture with a man in it, and this man is wearing a pullover onto which the word "Sheriff" is printed. I'd like to shorten this sentence because "onto which....." is quite long-winded for a short and concise description I suppose.

See above.

Thank you very much, Tarheel!

I really appreciate this kind of feedback since it provides me with valuable information :) and helps me to improve my English, which is wonderful.

Take care and stay healthy :)

Is it natural to say His hoodie reads "Sheriff"?

I don't think so. Prefer:

His hoodie says Sheriff.

Or has Sheriff printed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back