[Grammar] Sammary

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayabo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi. Can somebody help me to write sammary of the following text:

It’s Good To Talk
The word ‘engineer’ can be traced back to the Latin ingenium meaning cleverness, or natural ability. The main business of professional engineers is to be ingenious: to come up with good ideas and make them work in practice. No engineer works in complete isolation; there is no point in having a good idea if you are unable to communicate it. Poor communication can create ambiguity, even cause disasters. At the very least it gives a bed impression: if people think you communicate badly, they won’t trust you as an engineer. These people could be prospective employers, bosses, colleagues, clients, the public, or the media. There’s a great deal at stake. Your career as an engineer, the quality of your achievements, the benefit to society of engineering projects in general, the status and reputations of the whole profession, all these things, depend on good communication.
Yet graduate engineers are notoriously poor in communicating. You may be an exception of course, but engineering employers widely believe that there is a problem. They also feel that things are getting worse. Typical comments are: “Our graduate engineers cannot write simple letters in decent English”, or “I found six spelling mistakes in tree lines – I haven’t time to correct other people’s spelling”. As a young engineer you will make progress in your career by taking responsibility; but no matter how good you are at the technical side of the job, you cannot write a decent letter if you won’t be left in charge.
Why do graduate engineers tend to be poor at communication? Let’s consider what has happened to you in the last few years. By sixteen you were probably showing promise in Maths and Science, and since then your education has been quite narrowly based in these areas. English was never your favorite subject and if you were taught grammar in a formal way you thought it was rather boring and have forgotten most of it by now. Now you are on an engineering course where most of the challenge are excitement seems to be in the technical subject.
Improving your ability to well while you are a student is something you must take responsibility for yourself. If you really want to improve, you will. English is a flexible language, constantly capable of accepting new words and expressions. English style and what is considered “correct” are changing steadily. An engineer’s letter written in the style of Shakespeare or even Sir Isaac Newton would seem strange and inappropriate to a reader today. Good English is not based on fixed and absolute rules in a way that mathematics is. But like engineering, good writing requires judgement and good judgement requires confidence. You must know the “rules” before you can break them.

from 400 words to become 100 words..and can sb tell me some rules about sammaries
thanks a lot
raya:)

Summaries tell you the main point, or main points.

Try to write what you think was most important about this article. Omit the points that are not important.

For example, as you read this again, do you think the origin of the word "engineer" is important to the main point? Do you think the comment about a lot being at stake in your career is important?

I try to write some summary after i read some rules... I hope to help me if i did it wrong.

The main idea of the text is to tell us how important for an engineer communication is. However engineer is good professional, he has to communicate very well. He works with many and different people and it’s really good to talk. The young engineers are not good at English, because they are interest in mathematics and science. But if they realize it is important to communicate, they can help themselves and improve their English skills, because the language is flexible and everybody can be up to date, just if he wants. And it is worth it to learn to communicate, because in this global world your future depend of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back