Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Could you please correct my sentences?
1. ''The castle was built when Queen Tamar ruled.''
2. ''The castle was built when Queen Tamar reigned.''
3. ''The castle was built during the reign of Queen Tamar.''

There's nothing to correct. I assume you mean to use 3.

What's the use of this sentence?

There's nothing to correct. I assume you mean to use 3.

What's the use of this sentence?

It is used to describe some interesting places here in Georgia. In Russian I can use all the three versions but in English do the first two sentences sound natural?

Firstly, you can't use any of them in Russian because they are all in English. Secondly, even if you translate them directly into Russian, there will still be differences of use bteween them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'natural'.

I assume that you mean to use sentence 3, which is appropriate if you wish to present historical, factual information, with a focus on the specific period within which the castle was constructed.

Firstly, you can't use any of them in Russian because they are all in English. Secondly, even if you translate them directly into Russian, there will still be differences of use bteween them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'natural'.

I assume that you mean to use sentence 3, which is appropriate if you wish to present historical, factual information, with a focus on the specific period within which the castle was constructed.
Yes, you are right. But don't the first two sentences convey the same meaning?

Yes, you are right. But don't the first two sentences convey the same meaning?

They have the same same meaning, yes, but that's not the point. The point is that they have different uses. That means that they can be used to do different things.

It is used to describe some interesting places here in Georgia. In Russian I can use all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] three versions but in English do the first two sentences sound natural?

Well, I'm sure you could use them.

If looked like you were deciding what sentence to use, and on the third try you got it.

They have the same same meaning, yes, but that's not the point. The point is that they have different uses. That means that they can be used to do different things.

I would be very grateful to you if you provided an example.

Well, I'm sure you could use them.

If looked like you were deciding what sentence to use, and on the third try you got it.

Thanks for correcting my sentence.
By the way, I saw comments on the forums, not on this one in which the definite article and a numeral were used together. I thought it was not a mistake. :-?

If you're referring to "the third try", it's correct. "Third" isn't a numeral. "Three" is. "Third" is a an ordinal. The definite article is wrong when someone writes something like "Can you please check the sentence 3".

Please check sentence 3. :tick:
Please check the third sentence. :tick:

Please check the sentence 3. :cross:
Please check third sentence. :cross:

Rachel, I didn't correct any sentences. Instead, I expressed a preference. (The third sentence is what I would expect to see in a story about a region or country.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back