I mean something that stores use

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
What do you call this?
Rolling shutter?
I mean something that stores use

When I put "rolling shutters" into Google Images, I got lots of pictures of the same thing, so I guess that's what they're called. I don't have any need to refer to them very often so I wasn't sure what we called them.

I also Googled "electric shutters" and got many of the same pictures.

I call them Rolladen, but that may be because I grew up in Germany.

This firm calls them roller shutters.

Rover

Or just shutters.

Or just shutters.

Without a photo, if I just saw "shutters", I would imagine the small wooden ones which are on the outside of many Mediterranean residential homes' windows and which you simply reach out and open and close by hand.

These.

In Aust/NZ I've only ever heard them called roller doors as a generic term. Roll-A-Door is also a prominent brand name.

Without a photo, if I just saw "shutters", I would imagine the small wooden ones which are on the outside of many Mediterranean residential homes' windows and which you simply reach out and open and close by hand.

These.

It depends on the context for me- if I heard that a shopkeeper locked up and pulled the shutters down, I wouldn't think of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back