Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Which one is correct, in class "I'am doing the roll clall" or "I am doing the register"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one is correct (no comma here) in class?

1. "I (no apostrophe here) am doing the roll [STRIKE]clall[/STRIKE] call." [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE]
2. "I am doing the register."

Note my changes to your layout above. When you give us options, please set them out as a numbered list. It makes it much easier for us to refer to them in our responses.

When I was at school, the teacher would have said "I'm taking the register". However, in order to use the present continuous, she would have had to interrupt actually taking the register in order to say the sentence! She would have been more likely to say, before starting, "Is everybody ready? I'm going to take the register now." Once she had finished, she could have said "I've taken the register".

It's called "taking roll" or "takiing attendance" in AmE.

I used to call it marking the register.

My teachers at school used to say marking the register (as far as I can remember).

I personally say doing the attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back