Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
North Korea
Current Location
New Zealand
what is the meaning of the below sentences? is this talking about one sport match?

Rodriguez passes to Messi who shoot just over the bar. Barcelona are attacking much more in this half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Rainy.

What is the meaning of the below following sentences? Is this talking about one football/soccer match?

Rodriguez passes to Messi who shoots just over the bar. Barcelona are attacking much more in this half.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote please.​

I have moved your question from the title line to the main body of your post. Titles must contain some or all of the words/phrases you are asking about.

This appears to be taken from a live commentary of a football (American English soccer) match from 2021 (Messi left Barcelona in 2021).

What part of the quoted sentences do you not understand — passes? shoots? just over the bar? attacking? this half?

Last edited:
Well, if your shot goes just over the bar that's a good thing for the defending team but not so good for the attacking team.

Welcome to the forum, Rainy.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote please.​

I have moved your question from the title line to the main body of your post. Titles must contain some or all of the words/phrases you are asking about.
What part of the quoted sentences do you not understand — passes? shoots? just over the bar? attacking? this half?

Yes, I don't understand some of Phrases Verb or Verbs: passes? shoots? just over the bar? this half?
passes is to run across? this half is to talk about the football match?

Last edited:
You still haven't told us the source of the quoted text.

Yeah, I took it from one book named Grammar English in Advance, publication: Cambridge. I could take a picture of it but my camera is blurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I took it from one book named Grammar English in Advance, publication: Cambridge.

That is definitely not the name of the book.

It would have to be: English Grammar.

Oh sorry, Advanced Grammar In Use is the correct name of that book.

Last edited:
If a shot goes over the bar it's a miss.

@Rainy You don't know much about football, do you?
😀

Yes, I don't understand some of Phrases Verb or Verbs: passes? shoots? just over the bar? this half?
passes is to run across? this half is to talk about the football match?

Do we understand you correctly? Are you saying that you know next to nothing at all about football? Or are you just saying that you're not familiar with even the very basic vocabulary?

Tell us: Have you ever seen a football match, or part of one, on TV?

It might help us (and you) if you write for us a short paragraph describing what you already know about the game of football.

Rudolph passed the ball to Messi - Rudolph kicked the ball to Messi (a teammate).

You shoot in an effort to score (get the ball in the net (between the uprights and the crossbar).

Have I missed anything?

Rodriguez passes to Messi, who shoots just over the bar. Barcelona are attacking much more in this half.
I'd also suggest using a comma after 'Messi', as there's got to be a slight pause there.

Do we understand you correctly? Are you saying that you know next to nothing at all about football? Or are you just saying that you're not familiar with even the very basic vocabulary?
I am not really good at vocabulary so I need to improve much more . I didn't understand the senses of the sentences because some of limit of vocabulary.
Tell us: Have you ever seen a football match, or part of one, on TV?
Yes, I've ever but hardly
It might help us (and you) if you write for us a short paragraph describing what you already know about the game of football.

I see this was asked on at least two other forums:

I ask the OP to explain, and I ask other members not to reply until we've received a satisfactory response from the OP.

I just want to enhance my English comprehension. I tried 2 apps for asking questions. Does it have any probelm? Let me know. Thanks

Hmm. I am not convinced. And can you explain why you provided completely different info on your three profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back