Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"the 21st century saw the steady rise of right-wing populism, anti-elitism, and neo-nationalism and social conservatism."

What I wish to say is that these trends emerged much earlier but have intensified in the last few decades.
should i use in or of in this case?

I would use in- I would use of for when they reached power, which is not the case everywhere.

There are several issues with your sentence. Perhaps you mean something like this:

The first two decades of the 21st century have seen a continued rise in right-wing populism, anti-elitism, ...

"The 21st century saw has seen the steady rise of right-wing populism, anti-elitism, and neo-nationalism and social conservatism."

What I wish to say is that these trends emerged much earlier but have intensified in the last few two decades.
Should I use "in" or "of" in this case?
Note my corrections above. Remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter, and always capitalise the word "I". If you say "The 21st century saw", it suggests that that century is over. It's not. In the same way, you can't say "the last few decades" if you're only talking about the 21st century. We've only had two decades of it so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back