Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Say, a group of farmers originally lived in shabby houses made of wood due to poverty. But they all won in a lottery and became rich people. They then buy expensive houses.

These farmers lived in expensive houses.
These farmers lived in prosperous houses.
These farmers lived in wealthy houses.
These farmers lived in rich houses.

Which ones are acceptable?

Use the first. The other adjectives are used with people.
Can you think of other adjectives for houses which rich people live in?

Try: posh, luxurious, exclusive, upmarket, swanky.

Last edited:
The other adjectives aren't used solely with words that expressly mean "people", but they don't work with "houses". It's possible to say "This is a wealthy neighbourhood" or "It's a rich area". Of course, the implication is that the people who live in those areas are wealthy/rich but a word for "people" doesn't have to appear with those adjectives.

So only "expensive houses" are acceptable?

Then how native speakers normally describe rich people's houses?

Tedmc already gave you five other example adjectives. Many others are possible. The problem with most of the words you proposed is simply that we don’t talk about houses owning/possessing wealth. Rather, we talk about a house’s grandness, showiness, expensiveness, or other attributes. You could also talk about what a house contains (servants, grand furniture, etc.)

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Is only "expensive houses" [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] acceptable?

[STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] How do native speakers normally describe rich people's houses?

I don't "normally" have any need to describe rich people's houses. However, when I do, I describe the house, without any mention of the wealth of its owner. I know a very rich man who lives in a very modest house (he chooses to spend his money on other things). We might describe a very large house as a "mansion" or even a "palace" (that's not meant literally). There's even the splendid phrase "country pile" to refer to a really big house in the countryside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back