Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So perhaps something can be taken from the chaos and decentralized spontaneity embodied in shanties, and combined with the planned infrastructure of a designed eco-city. Cities built without extensive high rises can still be dense enough to make life without a car profitable., and they retain the economies of scale needed for the new metabolism built around efficient recycling of everything from sewage to sandwich wrappers.

I know what metabolism mean here. But I couldn't get the bold parts. Would you in a more simple way explain it?

I can't see the bold parts,but an economy of scale means that it is cheaper and more efficient to do something on a large scale. So the writer says that even a new city that is not high rise could be designed for extensive/total recycling in such a way that it was more cost effective.

"I can't see the bold parts". I agree; there are no bold parts from my point of view. The OP might want to repost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back