Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Do the parts marked by asteriks sound idiomatic? I am answering the question if being strict is a good idea.

1.I am not a strict parent.
2.Of course my kids get a tell-off sometimes.
3.I hated it when my mother *restricted all my desires* and now I have been *catching myself on insulting my daughter.*
4. Well, not really insulting but saying things like don't be so lazy.
5.*She struggles to be better.*

Last edited:
Do the parts marked by asterisks sound idiomatic? I am answering the question if "Is being strict is a good idea?"

1. space here I am not a strict parent. ✅
2. space here Of course my kids get a telling-off sometimes.
3. space here I hated it when my mother *restricted all my desires* and now I have been *catching myself on insulting my daughter.* ❌
4. Well, not really insulting her but saying things like "Don't be so lazy".
5. space here *She struggles to be better.*
1 is OK.
2. Note my corrections.
3. Neither part in asterisks is correct. Say something like "I hated it when my mother stopped me doing what I wanted to do. Also, I sometimes catch myself insulting my daughter".
4. Note my corrections.
5. It depends on what you mean. If you mean that she's trying to be less lazy but is struggling with that, then it's OK but I'd use the present continuous.

Stopping kids from doing what they want to do is what parents are for. Children are, of course, immature, and they can't be trusted to make the right decisions for themselves.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back