Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi,

I am trying to use the word "respectively" in my sentence but i feel it does not sound right. My sentence goes like this....

"On January 1, 2011, the cashier has collected cash and checks for various payments amounting to 5,000.00 and P 100,000, respectively."

Is my sentence correct? I'm really having a hard time learning english. Please advise. thanks...

Hi,

I am trying to use the word "respectively" in my sentence but i feel it does not sound right. My sentence goes like this....

"On January 1, 2011, the cashier has collected cash and checks for various payments amounting to 5,000.00 and P 100,000, respectively."

Is my sentence correct? I'm really having a hard time learning english. Please advise. thanks...

If you mean that there was 5,000.00 in cash and P100,000 in checks, then your use of respectively is okay.

However, don't use the present perfect with a specific date. On January 1, 2011, the cashier collected... -- simple past.

Additionally, you use two forms for your money. 5,000.00 and P 100,000

Last edited:
hi barb,

i see. so, i just need to remove the "has" word to make it simple perfect? btw, thanks for helping. I really appreciated it.

Not every verb can be changed from present perfect to simple past by removing the "have."

I have gone.
*I gone is wrong
I went is correct.

I have seen.
*I seen is wrong.
I saw is correct.

Each verb has a few forms - one for simple past, one to create the perfect tenses. Sometimes (like collected) they are the same and sometimes (like saw) they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back