[Idiom] request to clear the doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hi:
When a situation is becoming difficult, problems begin to take control of the situation.

Please explain the idiom 'when going gets tough ,the tough gets going"
My interpretation of this beautiful quote is:
"when the going gets tough”- when you are at a troubled time in your life, when there is high stress, or when nothing seems to be going your way.. “The tough get going” that is when the people with the biggest hearts, biggest derermination fight through the harsh times, never give up, and reveal their real character.
Now let me know if anyone agrees with me.Thanks:up:

Good explanations above!

Note the correct saying though:

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Be careful with your comma placement. You do not put a space before a comma, but you do put one after it!

My interpretation of this beautiful quote is:
"when the going gets tough”- when you are at a troubled time in your life, when there is high stress, or when nothing seems to be going your way.. “The tough get going” that is when the people with the biggest hearts, biggest derermination fight through the harsh times, never give up, and reveal their real character.
Now let me know if anyone agrees with me.Thanks:up:
Yes, you're right.

This idiom is a cliche (and a painfully long one at that) popularised by this awful Billy Ocean song:

YouTube - billy ocean when the going gets tough

I would avoid it, unless you want to play around with it:

"When the going gets tough, the tough get nasty!"

'When the going gets tough' by itself is tolerable - it simply means when things gets difficult. I've seen it a few times in headlines during these troubled times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back