Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would like to ask you two different meaning of ask. I cannot see any difference between them? Would you like to explain the difference?

1) Request information about [enquire, inquire]

"I asked about their special today"; "He had to ask directions several times";

3) Direct or put; seek an answer to
"ask a question."

http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ASK

Thank you.

In ask a question, "ask" is a synonym for pose. It means "to say a question out loud, directed at another person."

In ask a question, "ask" is a synonym for pose. It means "to say a question out loud, directed at another person."

But what is the difference between 1 and 3 ?

Thank you.

GoesStation has already answered this question.

But from respect of 1, when requesting a question we can say it out load which make 1 the same as 3 then?

And "ask a question" is just example of 3. The comparing is between "request information" and "seek an answer".

Thank you.

Last edited:
I would like to ask you two different meaning of ask. I cannot see any difference between them? Would you like to explain the difference?

1) Request information about [enquire, inquire]

"I asked about their special today"; "He had to ask directions several times";

3) Direct or put; seek an answer to
"ask a question."

But from respect of 1, when requesting a question we can say it out load which make 1 the same as 3 then?

And "ask a question" is just example of 3. The comparing is between "request information" and "seek an answer".

You can't request a question, you have to ask it. Definition 1 says that you're requesting information about something. Definition 3 says that you are stating something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back