Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The story begins at the end of World War I.
With the successful Allied advance in 1918, Germany realized the war was unwinnable and signed an armistice ending the fighting.
As its imperial government collapsed, civil unrest and worker strikes spread across the nation.
Fearing a Communist revolution, major parties joined to suppress the uprisings, establishing the parliamentary Weimar Republic.

How did Hitler rise to power - Alex Gendler and Anthony Hazard, TED-Ed

What's the difference if I say "repress" in this context?

Do you have a question for us? Remember to always put your full question in the main body of your post.

What's the difference if I say "repress" in this context?
@WilliamTaft There is a definite difference in the context you have provided.

While "suppress" and "repress" are related in meaning, they are not exactly the same. "Suppress" generally means to forcibly put an end to something or to prevent it from happening, while "repress" often refers to holding back or restraining emotions or desires. In some contexts, "repress" can also mean to forcibly put an end to something, but it is more commonly associated with the psychological concept of suppressing or holding back emotions or memories.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back