Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have rented my car, flat or house. Does it mean "I gave it to someone on rent"?

I have rented a car, falt or house. Does it mean "I have taken these on rent"?

Do I need to say "Rent out" when I am talking about my stuff being given to someone on lease?

What is the way to differentiate between "leasing your stuff" or "taking something on lease"?

I would say as follows:

The landlord rents out a premises while the tenant rents it.

The lessor (landlord) leases a premises to a lessee (tenant) while a lessee leases a premises from a lessor.

Be aware that the British usage for residential property is different.
A landlord lets a property while the tenant rents it.

It is common, but by no means universal, in the UK to use "hire" rather than "rent" for vehicles. In BrE "hire out" sounds natural but "rent out" sounds American.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be aware that the British usage for residential property is different.
A landlord lets a property while the tenant rents it.

It is common, but by no means universal, in the UK to use "hire" rather than "rent" for vehicles. In BrE "hire out" sounds natural but "rent out" sounds American.

Yes, I know this. I don't see these kinds of flyers now but when I was a kid we used to see flyers that read "To let" for the rooms that had to be rented out or leased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back