Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I want to know if the sentence "Remember beyond recall" contradicts itself and if not what it means

Thanks

In what context did you encounter this expression?

I made it up. It has a meaning to me.
I just wanted to check if it corelates with the outside world, and most importantly, if it's a correct expression in the english language.
It's somewhat tricky, i know.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
In what context did you encounter this expression?

Take it anywhere you like
[/FONT]

I just wanted to check if it correlates (are you sure this is the word you meant to use?) with the outside world, and most importantly, if it's a correct expression in the English language.
It's somewhat tricky, I know.

Take it anywhere you like. (I don't know what this means.)

It is meaningless to me.

I want to know whether the sentence "Remember beyond recall" contradicts itself and, if not, what it means.

Thanks.

It is not a sentence. It has no noun. It's just a verb, a preposition, and another verb.

It does not contradict itself.

It does not mean anything. It's nonsense. Remember and recall mean the same thing, so you're saying "remember beyond remember" or "recall beyond recall."

Rephrase it so we understand what you're trying to say.

I just wanted to see if it makes sense to the outside world, and most importantly, whether it's a correct expression in the English language.
It's somewhat tricky, I know.

Take it anywhere you like.

It's not tricky. It's just wrong. Tell us more about what you want to say.

HANDY TIPS: Capitalize proper nouns and I. Punctuate the ends of sentences.

I mean to say remember instead of recalling ( reminiscing) and give the memory a sense of importance. Also, the phrase "beyond recall" may mean something that is impossible to remember, to recollect. It is done on purpose.
On the one hand, like someone said "remember beyond remember (reminiscing actually)", and on the other hand "remember what is impossible to remember"

You can't remember something that's impossible to remember. Also, "remember" and "recall" mean the same thing. "Reminisce" is different. None of them have anything to do with giving a memory a sense of importance. I still have no idea what you're trying to convey.

There is a slight difference between recalling and remembering, though.
To remember something is to keep it in your memory at all times, while recalling is the act of retrieving a memory. In that it's similar to reminiscing.
It's all semantics, and please, correct me if I'm wrong.
With that in mind, I'm trying to convey an importance of a memory by remembering it beyond (maybe the word beyond doesn't fit well enough) recalling.

There is a slight difference between recalling and remembering, though.
To remember something is to keep it in your memory at all times, while recalling is the act of retrieving a memory. In that it's similar to reminiscing.
It's all semantics, and please, correct me if I'm wrong.
With that in mind, I'm trying to convey an importance of a memory by remembering it beyond (maybe the word beyond doesn't fit well enough) recalling.

Of course, all words have slightly different shadings. But to remember can also be to retrieve a memory:

Oh! I just remembered! I have to phone my doctor today!

Do you recall her phone number?
No, I can't remember it!

Sorry, I still don't get it. Remembering beyond recalling and recalling beyond remembering still mean the same thing to me: nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by Rover_KE; Today at 06:46. Reason: Deleting =O[. Please don't use home-made emoticons, Charlie.

Why not? I see lots of store-bought emojis here.

=O.

It is not wise to irritate the moderators.

It is not wise to irritate the moderators.

Right after I posted that, I also sent Rover a private message to ask about it and got a reasonably reasonable explanation. All's cool.

(And you don't see a happy-face here because I've reformed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back