Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
London is a place where I want to live
London is where I want to live

In the first sentence we can remove the pronoun because it is defining and referring to the object of the relative clause.
In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun. For example,

• I'm looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
  • She loves the chocolate (which / that) I bought.
  • The bike (which / that) I loved was stolen.

So even though our sentence...''London is where I want to live'' is obviously correct, what type of sentence is this? How do we categorize it?

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first sentence we can remove the pronoun because it is defining and referring to the object of the relative clause.
I think you mean "relative adverb".

In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun.

(post #2)

(I prefer the term "indefinite relative adverb". "Where" is also an indefinite relative adverb in your sentence.)

Last edited:

No. Firstly, where is not a pronoun. Secondly, where doesn't refer to anything and isn't the object of live, which is intransitive.

In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun. For example,

• I'm looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
  • She loves the chocolate (which / that) I bought.
  • The bike (which / that) I loved was stolen.

Which verbs are you talking about?

I agree with jutfrank: "where" is not a pronoun. It's best classified as a preposition ("in/at some place").

In your first example, "where" is not the object of the relative clause. Its function is that of adjunct of place.

In your second example "where I want to live" is a subordinate interrogative clause (embedded question), where the meaning is:

"London is the answer to the question 'Where do I want to live?'"

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back