Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence : "Your opposition to/of Regan has reminded me a quote of Albert Einstein "great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds"

My question/ doubt: What would be right preposition in the above mentioned sentence to or of ? Also tell if there is anything wrong in the sentence. ;-)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sentence : "Your opposition to/of Regan has reminded my a quote of Albert Einstein "great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds"

My question/ doubt: What would be right preposition in the above mentioned sentence to or of ? Also tell if there is anything wrong in the sentence. ;-)

Thanks
Hello Razer.
First of all, 'remind' is a transitive verb - something can remind somebody of something. In your sentence, that somebody is lacking.

Second, I guess you meant Reagan, not Regan.

As for the main question, I think there should be 'to' there. 'Of' would mean that the opposition consisted of Reagan.

I am not a teacher.

Hello Razer.
First of all, 'remind' is a transitive verb - something can remind somebody of something. In your sentence, that somebody is lacking.

Second, I guess you meant Reagan, not Regan.

As for the main question, I think there should be 'to' there. 'Of' would mean that the opposition consisted of Reagan.

I am not a teacher.

Got the first few lines of the first para of your reply but didn't get this part "in your sentence, that somebody is lacking." Did you meant word "somebody" should be there in the sentence ? Have yes then please rejig the sentence and put in where it where it belongs. But please don't change the sentence utterly unless it's necessary or something is wrong.:)

Yes, you are right I wanted to say Reagan.:)

Thanks for answering the main question. I was also suspecting it ought to be preposition to.:)

Got the first few lines of the first para of your reply but didn't get this part "in your sentence, that somebody is lacking." Did you meant word "somebody" should be there in the sentence ? Have yes then please rejig the sentence and put in where it where it belongs. But please don't change the sentence utterly unless it's necessary or something is wrong.:)

Yes, you are right I wanted to say Reagan.:)

Thanks for answering the main question. I was also suspecting it ought to be preposition to.:)
By 'that somebody' I meant a direct object (a person in this case). I didn't mean the word 'somebody' - just any word that would fit, e.g. 'me' (which I think is the best one in this context). I see that you edited your post and put 'me' in there. That's OK. But still 'of' is wanting.
'Reminded me of...'

Cheers.

"Your opposition to Reagan has reminded me of a quote by Albert Einstein "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back