[Grammar] Reduction or omission of GOING TO and some grammar element in a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

As stated in my title, I find that the auxiliary GOING TO is reduced or omitted in some sentences. I know about Reduced Adverb Clause, Incomplete Adverb and Noun Clause and so on, which are grammatically correct. I would like to know if in these two sentences the same gramatical phenomenon happens.

1°) This was the first of many mistakes Kuklinski was to commit.

2°) At the time they arrived, the young woman had died; the gunshot wound was to blame.

OBSERVATION:

a) As to my knowledge, the first sentence can also be as follows:

This was the first of many mistakes Kuklinski was going to commit.

b) I think that in the second sentence some grammar element is missing, but I am not quite sure which one it is.

At the time they arrived, the young woman had died; the gunshot wound was to blame.

I beg for your help in this grammar confusion.

1°) This was the first of many mistakes Kuklinski was to commit.

2°) At the time they arrived, the young woman had died; the gunshot wound was to blame.
The second sentence is not correct, it should start with "By the time".

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no 'reduction of BE going to in your sentences. The verb am/is/are/was/were to (there is no infinitive form) has been used. In #1, both BE going to and would would convey similar meanings, but neither works in #2, which is not the same construction.

Last edited:
Thank you for the observation Bhaisahab:

Is there a grammatical name for the thing I referred to in the above two sentences?

Thanks 5jj:

I would like to know if is there a grammatical name for the thing I am referring in the above two sentences?

The thing you are referring to in your first sentence appears to be simply the verb am/is/are/was/were to, sometimes referred to as BE to.

In your second sentence 'to blame' has the meaning of responsible/the cause.

Okay 5jj:

Now I know what you are referring to. This is called BE + INFINITIVE or BE PLUS INFINITIVE.

My best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back