Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Does this caption sound natural?

Real-world English phrases I extracted from TV shows, along with their phonetic transcription.

or maybe this one?:

A collection of real-world English phrases from TV shows, along with their phonetic transcription.

Which one sounds better? I need to caption a folder which contains these files with phrases.

If I remove TV shows, do I need to remove the comma?

A collection of real-world English phrases along with their phonetic transcriptions.

You don't need to. I would use a comma there, but many would not.

That's a lot of words for the title of a computer folder.

I will go with this: "A collection of real-world English phrases from TV shows."

I still think that's too long for a computer folder name. Is that what you're talking about or are you going to write that on the outside of a paper folder?
If it's a computer folder, I'd call it "Real-life English phrases from TV".

I still think that's too long for a computer folder name. Is that what you're talking about or are you going to write that on the outside of a paper folder?
If it's a computer folder, I'd call it "Real-life English phrases from TV".
It's a computer folder. Thank you so much! I think this should work as well:

Real-life English from TV.

Last edited:
It's a computer folder. Thank you so much! I think this should work as well:

Real-life English from TV.
" English" is a much broader and more general term compared to "English phrases".

Real-Life/World English TV Phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back