Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
RE: Original Song Title Grammar

Hi folks,

I hope it is permissible for me to ask this specific question on the Using English forum.

I recently composed a piece of music and would like some assistance with finalizing the title, please. The title is rather tongue in cheek in that it is deliberately elongated, as well as being overly self-proclaimed:

'Paradigmatic Moment For Super Hip Mr [my full name]'​

Grammatically speaking, is the above correct, please?

(It is a composition in the jazz idiom, and is, obviously, dedicated to myself.)

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Original Song Title Grammar

It sounds fine to me, though Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong would doubtless be mystified. :)

It sounds fine to me, though Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong would doubtless be mystified. :)

Thanks probus,

Yes, indeed!

Thank you for confirming the song title is an acceptable form.

Paul

No need to clutter the forum with a thank you note Paul, but we all just love clicks on the Thank button.

Last edited:

That being said, I don't think song titles (or any title for that matter) necessarily have to be grammatically correct, especially when they're intended as humorous or farcical.

As long as it's intentional and not just out of sheer ignorance or carelessness, there's usually some grammatical flexibility with things like titles and headlines.

That being said, I don't think song titles (or any title for that matter) necessarily have to be grammatically correct, especially when they're intended as humorous or farcical.

As long as it's intentional and not just out of sheer ignorance or carelessness, there's usually some grammatical flexibility with things like titles and headlines.

I don't think there is an overwhelming amount of song titles which are top-heavy in their usage of punctuation, at least. For example, colons, semi-colons, and forward (or backward) slashes.

It works and kicks ass/arse (UK).

It works and kicks ass/arse (UK).

I'm afraid I'm not sure if you are referring to my song title or the (my) above post (#6), Tdol?

Hi folks,

I hope I am permitted to ask this [STRIKE]specific[/STRIKE] question here.

Absolutely! Anything about English is fair game.

I recently composed a piece of music and would like
help finalizing the title[STRIKE], please[/STRIKE]. The title is rather tongue-in-cheek in that it is deliberately long-winded/verbose, as well as being overly self-aggrandizing:

"Paradigmatic Moment For Super Hip Mr [my full name]"

Grammatically speaking, is the above correct, please?

In American English, we would either put a period (full stop) after Mr (Mr.) or spell it out (Mister). Otherwise, it's grand.

(It is a
jazz composition i[STRIKE]n the jazz idiom,[/STRIKE] and is, obviously, dedicated to me.)

Many thanks
[STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE] for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,
You're welcome!

CharlieBernstein said:
In American English, we would either put a period (full stop) after Mr (Mr.) or spell it out (Mister). Otherwise, it's grand.

Charlie,

I was taught to omit a period after 'Mr' because the abbreviation does not exclude the final letter (ie. 'r'). A similar example would be doctor (ie. Dr).

In the case of, say, reverend, this would require a period because spelling truncates at the 'v' (ie. Rev.).

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

That's the British approach. Americans use the period to indicate that Mr., Dr., Prof., and so on are abbreviations.

I was taught to omit a period after 'Mr' because the abbreviation does not exclude the final letter (ie. 'r'). A similar example would be doctor (ie. Dr).

Paul
That usage has been superseded, Paul.

In modern British English, no full stops (periods) are required after any abbreviations.

The only abbreviations in which I ever use periods are i.e. and e.g. I find that this makes them easier to read. This is a personal choice - I doubt if you'll find it it any style guide.

Nowadays, when few people have studied Latin, the meanings of both i.e. and e.g. are unknown to many. For that reason I avoid them both and use English expressions instead.

I'm afraid I'm not sure if you are referring to my song title or the (my) above post (#6), Tdol?

My money's on the song title. :)

If you hang around, Paul, you'll find that some of us enjoy word play.

The only abbreviations in which I ever use periods are i.e. and e.g. I find that this makes them easier to read. This is a personal choice - I doubt if you'll find it it any style guide.

I must admit, rightly or wrongly I have always expressed the abovementioned as: ie. and eg. (one period after the final letter).

I must admit, rightly or wrongly I have always expressed the abovementioned as: ie. and eg. (one period after the final letter).
I'm afraid that's always wrong. The expanded abbreviations are id est and exempli gratia, meaning "that is" and "for example" respectively. It doesn't make sense in either the British or the American convention to put a single period/full stop after the pair of letters.

Charlie,

In the case of, say, reverend, this would require a period because spelling truncates at the 'v' (ie. Rev.).

Paul

That's what I was taught. But, as Cole Porter said, Heaven knows, anything goes. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back