Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Regardless of fuel shortages, parking restrictions, air pollution, and traffic congestion, the auto, without doubt, is here to stay, at least for the foreseeabe future, unless rapid transit systems and automated freeway systems are rapidly and widely ____.

(A) constructed
(B) built
(C) produced
(D) manufactured

(A Must for College Entrance Examination: Cloze Tests with Detailed Answers, by Yang Jinfang)

The answer to the above question is option A. What’s wrong with option B?

Last edited by a moderator:
B is as good as A to me, being in the building line.

Last edited:
Regardless of fuel shortages, parking restrictions, air pollution, and traffic congestion, the auto, without doubt, is here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future, unless rapid transit systems and automated freeway systems are rapidly and widely ____.

(A) constructed

(B) built
(C) produced
(D) manufactured

(A Must for College Entrance Examination: Cloze Tests with Detailed Answers, by Yang Jinfang)

The answer to the above question is option A. What’s wrong with option B?
Note that I've added line breaks for greater clarity. I thought you'd got the hang of that. (LATER EDIT: I see emsr2d2 has already done that.:cool:)

What details were given in the abovementioned Detailed Answers?

Last edited:
What details were given in the abovementioned Detailed Answers?

It's in Chinese. My English translation is as follows: Options (B) and (D) are similar in meaning. However, "build" is usually used to refer to houses, bridges, etc; "construct" emphasizes design and structure. As for traffic systems, "construct" is a better choice.

"construct" emphasizes design and structure.
There is no such distinction. Everything built or constructed by men involves design and structure.

As for traffic systems, "construct" is a better choice.
What do you mean by "traffic systems"? The word "construct" is so wide that it can be used for anything man-made, not only buildings and structures.

Certain nuances in a language are not translatable, so you can't always have the same questions and answer in one language applicable to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back