Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand the use of "random" - if it was random, then both whites and blacks would have cried out "White lives matter" and "Black lives matter" rather than BLM alone in the recent protests. Being random is not particularly targeting.

How to understand the word "random" here?

===================

Steven Pinker
@sapinker
·
4h
The problem with American police & criminal justice is “random draconianism” — arbitrary brutality and harsh sentencing. Poor communities are both under- and overpoliced. We need fairer, smarter policing.

It's right there in the explanation — arbitrary.

According to Pinker, it's the draconianism that's random. He is stating that the American police and criminal justice system randomly becomes draconian.

OK. But the answer doesn't solve "BLM" and "WLM" question.

I answered what was meant by random in the quoted text. What you're asking about now is venturing into a political discussion, and beyond the scope of the forum. You should ask it elsewhere.

Pinker is simply stating that in his opinion, arbitrary brutality and excessive sentencing are randomly applied. Whether or not that unfairly targets one demographic is a separate discussion - one not appropriate for this particular forum dedicated to use of the English language.

Last edited:
I fully agree with the point about not entering political discussion.

I think there's a fairly clear implication in Mr Pinker's words (carried by the word random) that police brutality is not targeted particularly at African American people, or any other demographic.

Random targeting does not necessarily produce equal results in protest chants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back