Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's a saying in Chinese which literally means "If one (usually refers to women) doesn't lose weight in March, her fat belly will be seen in April" because usually in April in most of the cities in China, it's hot and women wear far less than they do in winter. It's a funny thing to say and people say that just for fun. I think the saying also could be applied to men but since women care much about their weight, they pay more attention to that saying. I wrote a sentence to express this idea:

"You'll regret it in April if you don't lose weight in March" is quite a funny thing to say because then the less you wear, the more of your fat belly you will expose.

Is the above italic expression natural and grammatical?

There's a saying in Chinese (usually referring to women) which literally means "If one (usually refers to women) doesn't lose weight in March, her fat belly will be seen in April" because usually in April in most of the cities in China Chinese cities, it's hot in April and women wear far less than they do in winter. It's a funny thing to say and people say that it just for fun. I think the saying also could be applied to men but since women care much more/a lot about their weight, they pay more attention to that the saying. I wrote a sentence to express this idea:

"You'll regret it in April if you don't lose weight in March" is quite a funny thing to say because then the less you wear in April, the more of your fat belly you will expose.

Is the above italic expression natural and grammatical?

See above.

If you have to tell us it's funny, it's probably not that funny.

The expression is grammatically correct, and natural but for "then", which I would probably omit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back