French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
I wrote a new pangram."Quick, frowzy blimps jinx the veg da."

Not so good. What's 'da'?

Not so good. What's 'da'?

"da" means father or prosecutor. "da" is a valid scrabble word, like all the words in the pangram.

In the meaning of 'father' , it is used here as a form of address, and should be 'Da'.
In the other meaning, it should be 'DA', which is not used as a form of address.

You have used too many of the words from your other pangrams for this to be impressive, in my opinion.

In the meaning of 'father' , it is used here as a form of address, and should be 'Da'.
In the other meaning, it should be 'DA', which is not used as a form of address.

You have used too many of the words from your other pangrams for this to be impressive, in my opinion.

O.k. I will replace "da" by "DA".

The new sentence: "Quick, frowzy blimps jinx the veg DA."

What do you mean by "veg"? To me, it's a contraction of "vegetable(s)". If that's the case, it makes no sense to put it before "DA" because it's not an adjective.

A comma after 'veg' would help. It's still weak compared with Paramah Sungelee's earlier efforts.

Last edited:
Isn't 'veg' used in Indian English (and maybe some other variants) as a short form of 'vegetarian'? That's how I took it (a vegetarian DA).

Even if so, it's only going to work for those who do use it that way. For anyone who doesn't use the term 'veg', it's going to read as nonsensical.

Isn't 'veg' used in Indian English (and maybe some other variants) as a short form of 'vegetarian'? That's how I took it (a vegetarian DA).

Even if so, it's only going to work for those who do use it that way. For anyone who doesn't use the term 'veg', it's going to read as nonsensical.

No. We use "veggie" as a short form of "vegetarian".

Isn't 'veg' used in Indian English

It certainly is, as is its opposite non-veg. Indian English can be a bit of a mystery to non-Indians. For example you often see on signs pure veg hotel, which does not mean a hotel at all, but a strictly vegetarian restaurant.

Gee whiz, I didn't know what a pangram was, until he started this ruckus.

I don't think that asking about the acceptability of words in a pangram is starting a ruckus.

Well. That's why I'm here. To improve my grammar. Thanks for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back