Question tag —Blessed be those who work for the sake of the homeland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi!
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:

Blessed be those who work for the sake of the homeland,........?

My opinion: "right?/shouldn't they? [subjunctive]/may they not-mightn't they ['may' for hopes or prayers]"

Thanks in advance!

No question tag is natural after that statement.

Nobody would ever tag that sentence.

OK, if someone ever were to use it, how would they tag this sentence?

"'Blessed be those who work for the sake of the homeland' is a statement for which no question tag is possible, isn't it?"

"Blessed be those who ..., blessed they not be?/blessed be they not?/[blessed] may they not [be]?"; be they not?"

OK, it cannot be tagged.
"Blessed be those who ..., blessed they not be?/blessed be they not?/[blessed] may they not [be]?"; be they not?"
What are those? Are those yours? :)

You would be well-advised to forget about question tags and go on to a next topic.

OK, it cannot be tagged.

What are those? Are those yours? :)
Yes, but they're only suggestions for the system you are creating. It wouldn't be tagged in English.

Somehow I had forgotten until this morning the all-purpose question tag my parents used frequently: "... no?" I'm not sure it's a standard American English usage, though. It could be influenced by Polish or Yiddish, respectively my mother's and my father's first languages.

Can 'agree?' be used as a question tag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back