queens language

• Thread starter jezla666@hotmail.com
  • Start date
  • Views : 8,374
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jezla666@hotmail.com

whats the difference between queens language and normal british enlish. is the queen is honourable elizabeth?

whats the difference between queens language and normal british enlish. is the queen is honourable elizabeth?
"The Queen's English" is just an expression, it means British English.

*****NOT A TEACHER*****

Good afternoon.

(1) May I comment on your charming question?

(2) You may wish to know that way back in 1906 two brothers published a book on good English. They called it THE KING'S ENGLISH. The United Kingdom had a king at that time.

Thank you.

"The Queen's English" is just an expression, it means British English.

Hi, Bhaisahab,

I don't mean to bother you about punctuation again, but I'd like to know why you put a comma instead of a semicolon before "it" in the following sentence:

"The Queen's English" is just an expression, it means British English."

I thought a semicolon would be mandatory because the sentence contains two independent clauses. It's my understanding that one can separate two independent clauses with a conjunction, semicolon or dash. But not with a comma. Wrong?

Thanks a lot for answering my question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back