Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear all,

Please help me with expressing the idea that somebody puts in something another or opposite sense. I much appreciate for giving me a few idioms for official and casual situations. Thank you.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you want to say. Can you try to say it in other words?

Thank you. People think that something has one meaning but it has another meaning which was given for instance by the author of the novel or the idea. How one can say this more naturally in English

Contradictory opinion/ opposing view/ alternative view

Last edited:
For example - I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

I mean to ascribe the opposite meaning to what was originally meant. To modify the original idea or concept. How to say it in another way ( academicially or in casual situation Thank you.

I mean to ascribe the opposite meaning to what was originally said, to modify the original idea or concept. I want to know how to say it in another way, formally or in a casual situation. Thank you.
Both formally and informally, there are countless ways to do it. Your example in #5 is excellent. There are lots of popular music examples:

"I misunderstood, I misunderstood.
I though she was saying good luck,
She was saying goodbye."
— Richard Thompson

"When you told me goodbye,
How was I to know
You didn't mean goodbye,
You didn't mean goodbye,
You meant, "Please, don't let me go"?
— The Grateful Dead

"You say you don't love me,
But you can't hide your desire."
— Bruce Springsteen

There is also sarcasm, a form of irony in which you say the opposite of what you mean:

- Me: "I smashed up the car."
- You: "Oh, that's just great!"

- Me: "I can ace the chemistry exam without studying."
- You: "Oh, I'll just bet you can!"

My favorite examples of sarcasm are in the movie My Cousin Vinny. The character Lisa is the queen of sarcasm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back