Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it insensitive to use thrilling for Psychiatry?

What other word can I use instead of "thrilling or exciting" here that shows my interest but is not insensitive?

Psychiatry, a complicated yet thrilling branch of medicine, includes a wide range of mental disorders.

Yes, thrilling is quite inappropriate there.

If you mean to say it's interesting, the best word to use is interesting. However, the way you've phrased the sentence makes it sound like you're giving information about what psychiatry is, in which case you should not attempt to show what you think about it. The reader really doesn't care about what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it insensitive to use "thrilling" for psychiatry?

What other word can I use instead of "thrilling" or "exciting" here that shows my interest but is not insensitive?

Psychiatry, a complicated yet thrilling branch of medicine, includes a wide range of mental disorders.

Note my amendments above. Also note that I have changed your thread title so that it includes most of the sentence you're asking us about. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of your post.

I agree that "thrilling" isn't a good choice there. As jutfrank said, that's your opinion, not a fact. I wouldn't use "includes" either. I'd say that it deals with or treats/attempts to treat a wide range of mental disorders.

Right. Like every other specialty, psychiatry doesn't include any disorders at all.

You've made a similar mistake with include in your other post about "cardiovascular field", by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back