Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
proportion
1. /prəˈpɔː.ʃən/

2. /prəʊ pɔː.ʃən/

Could you tell me which pronunciation is the correct one?

For "pro", when to pronounce /prə/ and when /prəʊ/?

Please advise me, thank you so much.

Fleeting Christmas flew away, I don't even have the time to savour its relish.

Happy New Year.

1. /prəˈpɔː.ʃən/ :tick:
2. /prəʊ pɔː.ʃən/ X

Unstressed "pro" is normally /prə/, stressed /prəʊ/.
'Pro' can also be pronounced /pr[FONT=&quot]ɒ/ in many words.
[/FONT]

Some speakers say [prəˈpɔː.ʃən], some speakers say [prəʊ pɔː.ʃən], some speakers say both.

The second pronunciation ([prəʊ pɔː.ʃən]) involves a phonetic process called regressive assimilation. That's when a sound is assimilated in either manner or place to an oncoming sound. For example, the speaker in anticipating [p] in prəʊ pɔː.ʃən produces [əʊ], a vowel sound (between /u/ and /ə/) that shares articulation features with [p], namely a degree of rounding of the lips.

There's another pronunciation, one involving inversion or a switch: [pərˈpɔː.ʃən].

Some speakers say [prəˈpɔː.ʃən], some speakers say [prəʊ pɔː.ʃən], some speakers say both.

The second pronunciation ([prəʊ pɔː.ʃən]) involves a phonetic process called regressive assimilation. That's when a sound is assimilated in either manner or place to an oncoming sound. For example, the speaker in anticipating [p] in prəʊ pɔː.ʃən produces [əʊ], a vowel sound (between /u/ and /ə/) that shares articulation features with [p], namely a degree of rounding of the lips.

There's another pronunciation, one involving inversion or a switch: [pərˈpɔː.ʃən].

too recondite to me, I didn't expect it's so abstruse.
Thank you.

I don't know what that means...:oops:

I meant it is too difficult for me to grasp, I think I had better stick to the simplified one.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back