Pronounce "Got to" and "Got a"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

In American English, I'd like to know how to pronounce "Got to" and "Got a", for instance, "I got to go now." and "I got a book.", are "got to" and "got a" have same pronunciation, like "godda"? If so, would it be applied in British English? Please advise.

W

Hi Everybody,

In American English, I'd like to know how to pronounce "Got to" and "Got a", for instance, "I got to go now." and "I got a book.", are "got to" and "got a" have same pronunciation, like "godda"? If so, would it be applied in British English? Please advise.

W

I got to go = I godda go

I got a book = I god a book

The pronunciations are almost same when speaking fast.

British English: I don't think so... Their pronunciations are very clear & crispy

If you were in a professional setting, you would probably want to take your time and carefully pronounce each word.

FORMAL:
I've got to go
I've got a book.

INFORMAL:
I've godda go.
I've godda book.

They sound very similar in fast, spoken, American English. British English would probably be different. "I've got a book" would sound more like, "I've got* uh book" where British speakers have a "glottal stop" similar to the word "button" (but*in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back