[Vocabulary] Prompt questions from a Newspaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello All,
Would you please help me out to understand the real meaning of the following words and expressions from a newspaper?

-phone-hacking
-heads will roll
-dog-nip-dog

Thanks in adva

Maybe it wasn't an unusual way to punish some people in the old times by ordering "Heads will roll" meaning "decaputation", it is now just a figure of speech to threat.

An example;
I need that deal to be closed today, or else, some heads will roll, and you know very well whose heads I'm referring to.

Hello All,
Would you please help me out to understand the real meaning of the following words and expressions from a newspaper?

-phone-hacking
-heads will roll
-dog-nip-dog

Thanks in adva
***NOT A TEACHER***I have never heard of "dog nip dog," but I have heard of "This is a dog-eat-dog world." It means that some people will do anything to other people (no matter how wrong) in order to get what they want.

Hello All,

-phone-hacking
-heads will roll
-dog-nip-dog

Thanks in adva

phone-hacking : Hack means to get into someone else's computer system without permission in order to find out information or do something illegal. Now this has been extended to Cell-phones. Cell phone hacks are now targeting the personal information on others cell phonss and selling this information to make money.

heads will roll: This is a hyperbolic expression indirectly refers to the punishment of being beheaded. In actual practice it is used as a threat hinted at some who could be severely punished in case of an unpleasant/unusual event, as in
If the system fails, many heads will roll. Or
Some one must come forward to take responsibility for the lapse, otherwise heads will roll.

dog-nip-dog: As clarified by theParser it is also an unheard phrase for me. However, I came across a comment on the web about a TV serial named as: Dog Eat Dog is by far the best in game shows and reality TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back