program approved by the 28th legislature culminated in the November general election

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You're right, the sentence is confusing. "Culminated in" means "resulted in" or "ended in" or "came to a final conclusion in." A program doesn't result in an election.

I read your clipping. To answer your question: a group of reforms were proposed by lawmakers and then approved by voters. Instead of "culminated," it should say "approved."

Last edited:
You're right, the sentence is confusing. "Culminated in" means "resulted in" or "ended in" or "came to a final conclusion in." A program doesn't result in an election.

I read your clipping. To answer your question: a group of reforms were proposed by lawmakers and then approved by voters. Instead of "culminated," it should say "approved."

But the approve is already in use in the sentence as "program approved by ..."

Thanks

It doesn't make sense to me. The program did not result in an election. The program may have been ratified or approved by the general public in the election. It didn't "culminate" in an election.

Well, if the election was to ratify the program, then the drawing up of the program surely culminated in the election.

All the campaigning on the Brexit issue will culminate in the referendum on 23 June.

That's a fair point, although I'd still like it better if it said that the campaign culminated or the effort culminated. The idea of the program itself culminating doesn't read as well for me.

This is a test. I'm trying to open the thread.
[Edit: it worked!]

Why do you call it as "clipping" ? Clipping means the article cut out from a magazine or newpaper etc this isn't it just a "link" ?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back