Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm not a native English speaker.

I would like to know if the combination of terms "Professional factory" is sustainable and correct.
This should be a name of an academic organization providing different kind of courses, expecially thougth for professionals.
On Google this combination is not very crowded. I have therefore the suspect that it is not very correct.
Even if this combination of term would be used in Italy, I would like to be perfect in the correct use of English.

Best Regards

I have never heard of 'professional factories'. What is the Italian expression you have in mind?

Hi and thanks

it has been thought as a place where you can build and re-build (a factory) a professional career

It doesn't work, in my opinion. From what you are saying, it should be career factory, anyway.

I'm not a native English speaker.

I would like to know if the combination of terms "Professional factory" is sustainable and correct.
This should be a name of an academic organization providing different kind of courses, expecially thougth for professionals.
On Google this combination is not very crowded. I have therefore the suspect that it is not very correct.
Even if this combination of term would be used in Italy, I would like to be perfect in the correct use of English.

Best Regards

"Professional factory" is definitely wrong. How could a factory be not professional? There are two problems:

1. Academic and factory don't go together.

2. The word professional generally refers to non-factory or non manual-labor workers, such as doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc.

A. If this "academic organization" is teaching skills for factory workers or trades (carpenters, electricians, welders, etc.) then we call it a Trade School or Technical School.

B. If the courses are for professionals as defined in #2 above, then we might call it a Business School.

Many, many thanks again

Apart the idea about "business school", I would like to ask you how could the following terms be associated to an university that would make new teaching courses also for professionals

- professional school

- professional learning

- learning centre

Even if here we are not mother language speakers, the "business school" here is commonly associated only to economics subjects. These courses will also be in areas as statistics, big data and privacy laws

Best Regards

In Australia, there has been a lot of talk of "Degree factories" or "Degree mills". This is a pejorative term meaning a university or college that has low standards, cares very little about its students, but will give them a degree if do their assignments and exams and pay their fees.
In a positive context, learning/professional and 'factory' don't go together, as mentioned above.

You could say that a university is a training/breeding ground for professionals.

And now Academy?

Hi,

following this old thread, I thought about the term: "Academy".

What does Academy mean for you?

My needs/input are always:
- I'm an university
- I would like to offer courses not only for undergraduates o postgraduates
- I would like to offer my courses to people needing continuous learning especially for their career improvements

Greetings

Re: And now Academy?

That I work for an university, exploring a new area for teaching.

I've made the sentence grammatical but I'm still not sure what it means. Can you explain the second half (after my comma) another way? Note that your original sentence "I'm an university" is completely ungrammatical. For a start, the indefinite article before "university" should be "a", not "an" but, even with that, it makes no sense. You are a not a university.

Re: And now Academy?

I work for a university

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back